Welcome

Here at the Guerrilla Guide to Music Technology I want to make a safe haven for those of us who want to know about the fascinating devices and techniques that make up this diverse area, without making people feel small or stupid for not knowing something. I used to not know stuff until somebody taught me, now I aim to make everything clear without patronising anyone. Nobody knows everything, including me so if you find something wrong or something that you think that everyone could benefit from knowing then please do tell me in the comments.

Sunday 7 January 2024

Useful plugins for mixing

 I spent a good while doing some messing around with various different plugins with a view to getting my mix to be comparable to typical releases but I was having an issue getting loudness similar to commercial recordings. After some research I found I needed to do two things. Firstly I needed to address some gain staging issues which was easy enough with built in MIDI and audio gain plugins but I also needed to add some compression to the master output as a bit of light mastering. In the past I have acheived this with Jamin and a mixdown channel but my research pointed me to a plugin called Loudmax which I have tried out and it is very good I am pleased to say. I also wanted a decent spectrogram because the built in one in Ardour is tiny. Wolf-Spectrum came to the rescue in this regard. The Calf plugin suite also provided some cool plugins such as Calf Fluidsynth, a multi-band compressor and a nice reverb unit. This was installed through the Ubuntu Studio app store called Discover.  Here is a video that shows how I got on with these plugins.


No comments:

Post a Comment